Sunday, July 1, 2012

Android TouchPad


I was one of the lucky few to bag a TouchPad during the fire sale, thanks to a friend at HP.  I have installed a few of the available apps for WebOS and have been playing with it on and off.  Not as much as I play with my iPad though.  The limited app availability made me wonder if I should continue to keep the TouchPad, especially with the advent of the shiny new Android tablets.  But, the new tablets have a smaller form factor and I was not too keen on getting a tablet the size of my Kindle.

So, I decided to keep my TouchPad and breath new life into it.

I installed Android, Ice Cream Sandwich, to be precise.  Until the beginning of the year, only Gingerbread was available for the tablet, but then the CyanogenMod team released CyanogenMod 9 (CM9) built on Ice Cream Sandwich and I knew it was time to jump ship.  There are several sites that take you through the process of installing Android 4.0 on the TouchPad and I won't go through the details here.  The installation can be tricky from what I hear, but mine went smooth but for some starting trouble.

The only issue I had was with the Universal Novacom Installer.  I was installing it on my Win 7 64-bit machine and it would just hang trying to initialize the installer.  Then, I found out that you can download the webosdoctor file from Palm (found here) and point the installer to use this file instead.  From here onwards, the installation went flawlessly.

I now have an Android tablet with all my favorite apps installed on it.  I didn't delete WebOS so I actually have a dual boot.  I can switch over to WebOS whenever I want with just a reboot.  The only dis-advantage of installing CM9 is that it renders the camera useless.  If you want to use the camera, you will have to boot the tablet to WebOS.  I am waiting for the build with a fix to the camera so I can use Skype on the tablet.

If you are one of those people wondering what to do with the TouchPad, this is a great alternative which will open up the app world for you.